Thursday, July 3, 2008

Five tips to make your blog load faster (and keep more visitors)

I have been looking at dozens of blogs lately, thanks to EntreCard and my obsessive-compulsive disorder. (That’s a whole other post.) I have found some really interesting sites, with great stories and helpful articles. I’m talking with people and making friends. I’m stumbling and subscribing. This is blogging at its best!
However, there are some sites that are so full of “stuff” that I can’t even stick around long enough to see how great the content might be, because I get annoyed waiting for all the widgets and ads to load. I just leave. Maybe I’m too impatient. Perhaps I’m being too critical. What can I say? I’m sorry.
I love a site that loads quickly and is not overburdened with junk! If you want to keep impatient clickers from leaving during loading, try these simple tips.
................
Keep images to a minimum. If you must include photos on your front page, display a thumbnail or low-resolution image with a link to the real thing.


Say no to auto-play audio/video files. Slow and annoying — not a good combination.


Place the most important widgets above the fold (the portion of the page visible without scrolling down) so people can get right to the good stuff.


Remember that savvy surfers are largely “banner blind.” Don’t fill your page with cumbersome ads that are just going to get ignored anyway.


Resist the temptation to fill every bit of space. Leaving some blank areas is easier on the eyes, and white space takes no time to load.


work hard :you get success..........

No comments: